Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ripping, Frogging, Tinking--Oh My!

I let the sweater sink slowly to the bottom of my knitting bag.  After a couple of days, I lifted it out of the bag and neatened up the now tangled balls of yarn.  I resolutely started knitting again.  With my Mistake staring me down the whole time.  STOP
Let's step back and see what happened.  I had already calculated that one row of the sweater took about 20 minutes to knit.  I knit a row.  I knit 4 rows.  I had to tink back across one of them when I forgot to read my chart from left to right on the purl rows.  No problem, I had lots of time that day.  We were at an outdoors music festival, the sun was shining with that peculiar oblique golden light of early fall.  It was a Perfect Knitting Day. I got an astonishing 12 rows of fair-isle knitting done.  I was flying through the rows! 
So, what happened?  On the ride home, I put my reading glasses on to review the next pattern section.  I knit a few stitches.  I stopped and absently tried to smooth out the previous pattern section which was a little...bumpy.  I shook my head as if to  clear it & kept knitting.  About half way across the row I had to admit that it was really bumpy, puckered even.  Assuring myself that it would block out--or that maybe it was just compressed on the needle, I kept knitting. For a little while.  Like, for another row.
Shortly after that, the sweater started inching it's way towards the bottom of my knitting bag.  I had some other things to finish up & samples to knit, so it was easy to think I was just taking a little break.  I knit a shawl, a pair of socks, a pair of baby socks...& a hat.  I looked around and found another pair of socks that were nearly finished and I worked on them.
Fast forward to last week.  At knit night I tried to work on the sweater.  Then, I showed the sweater to a couple of other knitters.  There was consensus.  It has to be ripped out.  So, I put it back in my bag--and it's still there.  I think I'll make another hat.

Next time:  LYS talks to some other knitters about mistakes, knitting, mistakes, fixes, & abandoning projects. 

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when that happens! That's been the relationship between me and the dreaded Ishbel Scarf project!

    ReplyDelete